Statement by Turkey at the 2013 United Nations Pledging Conference for Development Activities
Halit Çevik 11.11.2013
At the outset, please allow me Mr. President to congratulate you for your election as the President of the 2013 United Nations Pledging Conference for Development Activities.
Turkey appreciates deeply the critical role and the invaluable contributions of the United Nations in generating a timely, coordinated and sustainable response to the development needs. The operational activities of the United Nations for development are essential in providing vital support to the developing countries.
While recognizing and commending the leading role of the United Nations in development assistance, we also believe that the agencies, funds and programmes of the UN system could be further strengthened in order to address the newly emerging challenges in a more effective and efficient manner. It is essential that the UN and donor countries work in solidarity and partnership with the developing countries in this regard.
Turkey will remain committed to engaging in constructive cooperation with the UN system to give further impetus to development agenda and will assume our share of responsibility in supporting our joint endeavors.
In this vein, Turkey’s pledges for the year 2014 are as follows:
• United Nations Development Programme (UNDP): 3 million US Dollars
• Fund of the United Nations International Drug Control Programme (UNDCP):
600 thousand US Dollars
• United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF): 150 thousand US Dollars
• United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA): 150 thousand US Dollars
• United Nations Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Fund (CPCJF):
200 thousand US Dollars
• United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Woman): 1 million US Dollars
• United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights: 120 thousand US Dollars
• United Nations Volunteers (UNV): 10 thousand US Dollars
• United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR): 10 thousand US Dollars
• United Nations Voluntary Fund for Victims of Torture: 10 thousand US Dollars
• United Nations Youth Fund: 10 thousand US Dollars
• United Nations Voluntary Fund on Disability: 10 thousand US Dollars
• United Nations Trust Fund for Ageing: 10 thousand US Dollars
• United Nations Voluntary Trust Fund on Contemporary Forms of Slavery:
6 thousand US Dollars
• United Nations Voluntary Fund on Indigenous Populations: 10 thousand US Dollars
• United Nations Fund for South - South Cooperation (UNFSSC): 20 thousand US Dollars
Thank you Mr. President.